Shared note




1643 David came to America with his father.

1667, 7 Aug., He purchased 86 acres in Parish of "Martyn's Hundred " in James City Co., VA.

David recieved extensive grants for transporting people from Scotland to the colony including;
1662, 8 Oct., 1000 acres on Mattadegan Creek for transporting 20.
1675, 24 Feb., 1350 acres for transporting 27.
1685, He gained 1300, 277, & 196 acres by grant in upper New Kent Co. on the York River.
1690 - 92, He was a member of the House Of Burgesses.
1693, He lived on the 277 acres on the Assasiquin Run when he deeded it to his grandson, William Merriweather.
1710, David was killed by Pamunky Indians in New Kent Co.

He had a number of children; these are the only ones records exist for:

David was of the slave holding aristocracy and lived in St. Peter's (St. Paul's) Parish, in New Kent Co. (Hanover), VA. Seven of his land
transactions netted him some 4,500 - 5,100 acres, the first patent being acquired in 1667. His possessions included the site of the present City of Richmond, VA. In 1693 he deeded his residence, Assassquin, New Kent, VA, to his grandson, William Meriwether.


Copied from: "Heritage of William Murphy Crawford and Almina (Boggs) Crawford Family", by Edna Crawford Matthews:

"David Crawford, only son of (1) John Crawford, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland about 1625 and came to America with his father about 1643. He was married in 1654 in James City County, Virginia, but his wife's name is not known.

According to Virginia Land Registry, David purchased 86 acres in the Parish of "Martyn's Hundred" in James City County on August 7, 1667. Martyn's Hundred Parish was below Jamestown on the James River. It was the location of the English settlement in 1619, most of who were massacred by the Indians in 1622. There is an interesting article in the June 1979 National Geographic Magazine concerning archaeology studies in this area.

David Crawford received extensive grants of land for transporting people from the old country into the colony including: 1000 acres Oct. 8, 1662 on Mattadegan Creek for transporting twenty persons; 1350 acres Feb. 24, 1675 for bringing eight persons. Ten years later several grants of land were made to him, including: 1300 acres, 277 acres and 196 acres in upper New Kent County on the York River. He was living on the 277 acres on the Assiskins (Assasiquin) Run in 1693 when he deeded it to his grandson, William Meriwether, the oldest child of his oldest child, Elizabeth.

David became a large plantation owner. It was said that his estate included the present site of Richmond, Virginia. His mode of living evidently was quite different from the hardships encountered when first arriving in Virginia. The large plantation owners were mainly self-sufficing. They had plenty and a variety of food for the table. Fuel was wood for the cutting. However, they purchased much of their manufactured goods from England. The houses were large with separate buildings for cooking and laundering. Most heavy transportation was by boat on the rivers and coastal waters. Horses were the principal mode of transportation on land and they had fine horses which they enjoyed riding. Entertainment of guests was a means of communication.

David Crawford was a vestryman in his parish. He was a member of the House of Burgesses (legislature) 1690-1692. It met in Jamestown at that time. With the rapid increase in population and the growth of civilization came increasing responsibilities relative to government, and these responsibilities were handled mainly by the large plantation owners. They were high minded and strong in intellect and did not submit easily to an authority outside of their control and they protested against the constant encroachment upon their rights by the King's governor.

David Crawford was killed by the Pamunkey Indians in 1710 in New Kent County, Virginia. He had several children but because of the destruction of the county records, it is impossible to find full particulars."

1704 Virginia Quit Rent Rolls - In Virginia, Quit Rents were annual fees paid to the king in exchange for the right to live on and farm property. These rolls are lists of those who paid these fees.
David Crawford, Sr. 300 acres
David Crawford, Jr. 400 acres

Our next encounter with our Crawfords in Virginia is with John's son, born circa 1625 in Kilburney, Scotland when he purchased 86 acres on August 7, 1667 in the Parish of Martyns Hundred in James City County from Mrs. Anne Loveing. This land transaction was approved by the Royal Governor, Sir William Berkeley. (Land Patents for James City County, VA, Book 6)

The grant of land that David acquired was made to him directly by Governor Berkeley in 1672, securing to him 1,000 acres in New Kent County "lying in yee branches of Mattedegun Creeke." David received this land for bringing twenty people to Virginia to settle and develop the land. It was at this time that David relocated to New Kent County. David's land acquisitions continued in 1676, the year of Bacon's Rebellion, with 1,350 acres, 375 acres, 1,300 acres, 277 acres, and 196 acres all in New Kent County. Each of these land acquisitions were either purchases approved by the Royal Governor or direct grants made by the Governor. What is interesting is that prior family researchers have not addressed the apparent cooperation that David got from the Royal Governor while his ancient father was off fighting in open rebellion against the Governor's administration. There are plausible explanations for this, including but limited to John Crawford not having participated in Bacon's Rebellion, not holding a son accountable for the sins of his father, and wanting to keep David loyal to the Crown.

On October 28, 1681 David Crawford purchased 1,300 acres from Mr. William Taylor in St. Peter's Parish in New Kent County and he received another land grant from the government on November 4, 1685 for an unspecified acreage that appears to have adjoined his earlier purchase from Taylor. The government granted David the land for bringing six people into the Colony to settle. It was at this site that David built his final plantation that he named "Assiskins Run" (also known as "Assassquin"). In 1693 David deeded this land over to his grandson, William Meriwether. Also, on May 12, 1697 David deeded 200 acres to his grandson, David Meriwether, with all appurtenances. This property was located in Kent County, which afterward became Hanover County. Because of the widespread destruction of public records during the Civil War we will never know the full extent of David's landholding or how much of it he gave to his family during and upon his death. We can safely assume, however, that for the time and place in which David lived that he was a major landowner.

Given names Surname Sosa Birth Place Death Age Place Last change
399 1 314 85 Never
Given names Surname Age Given names Surname Age Marriage Place Last change
Media objects
Media Title Individuals Families Sources Last change
Title Abbreviation Author Publication Individuals Families Media objects Shared notes Last change
Repository name Sources Last change
Submitter name Individuals Families Last change